Market Related Portfolio
3. What is an Asset Manager?
An asset manager is
a company that manages an investment portfolio which comprises
Equities: listed shares on a stock exchange (could be local ie: the Johannesburg Stock
Bonds: an investment usually in government stock whereby the investment is made at a
Property: can be a direct investment in fixed land and buildings or an indirect investment
Cash: earns interest at rates that are dependant on the duration of the cash investment.
The asset manager needs to decide on the optimal mix of the above asset classes at
The trustees considered the following points when selecting the asset managers:
- Reputation, including past performance and management skills
- Investment process as described by the manager
- Personality and reporting skills of the manager who would deal with the Fund
- Total value of assets under management
- Fees and other costs
Back to Home Page